When the second Hotel Vancouver opened its doors 100 years ago this year, it became one of the most elegant and ornate buildings that we ever destroyed.
Built in 1916 and pulled down just 33 years later to make way for a parking lot, the second Hotel Vancouver was a replacement for the original Hotel Vancouver which was built in 1888.
The new 16-storey version had 700 rooms and was designed in the grand Italianate revival style. The hotel had arched windows, turrets, a roof top garden, and was dressed up with Gargoyles, buffalo heads and terra cotta moose.
At the end of the Second World War, homeless veterans took over the hotel, and it became an official barracks for a short time before its demise in 1949 at the tender young age of 33. And, after two decades as a parking lot, the site became home to the uninspiring Pacific Centre mall and the 30-storey black TD Tower which opened in 1972.
Interesting how this clip of the site today from Google Maps catches the reflection of the beautiful, but much less lavish and impressive third Hotel Vancouver in its black glass.
For more in Our Missing Heritage Series see:
or just go to Our Missing Heritage for the complete, sad list.
© All rights reserved. Unless otherwise indicated, all blog content copyright Eve Lazarus.